For the Media:
Newspapers, Magazines, Radio and TV
Andrea Engber...A Brief Background
• Mother of 24-year-old son, Spencer Brandon Engber
• Former owner of Andrea Engber Design & Associates, a full service advertising and creative design agency
• Founder and director of the National Organization of Single Mothers, Inc., a non-profit network, 1991
• Editor of Single Mother, the nationwide publication for single mothers and professionals, 1991
• Nationally syndicated weekly newspaper columnist: Single...With Children (1991-2002)
• Contributing single parenting columnist for Working Mother magazine (1992-1998)
• Co-author , The Complete Single Mother: Reassuring Answers to Your Most
Challenging Concerns (1995, Adams, $12.95)
• America Online--The Single Parenting Pro (1997-1999)
• Contributor to Parenting, American Baby, Working Mother, Womens Own, Redbook, and other major magazines.
• Co-author of the revised and updated Complete Single Mother: Reassuring Answers t• Your Most Challenging Concerns (2000, Adams, $12.95)
• Expert for 'Skills for Single Parents' video (Sunburst Videos, 2000)
• Contributing essayist, If Women Ruled the World, 2004
• Contributor, Besmirched: The Power of Words, 2004
• Contributing author, When I Think About My Father
What they say about Andrea Engber
-Our readers have been thrilled with her helpful advice and tips. She hits just the right note for single moms.--Working Mother magazine
-Andrea Engber clearly is in touch with single mothers feelings and needs. Her advice is terrific; practical and reassuring, it comes from the heart, and it provides a world of support for women who to often feel alone.--American Baby magazine
-Her advice is refreshingly positive! --Detroit Free Press
-Andrea Engber is a knowledgeable, quotable expert on all aspects of single motherhood--and, better yet, she is a single mom's best friend and cheerleader. -Working Mother
-A wealth of resources...-Cleveland Plain Dealer
-A+! Hats off to Engber...-New Woman magazine
-What a great interview! Our listeners will really benefit from all this fantastic information. -Mary Windishar, Host, Parent Club Radio Program
about her articles, books and columns...
-Constructive strategies for coping with major problems and everyday incidents that are special to single mothers...A great resource!--Redbook magazine
-A virtual encyclopedia of knowledge!---Jane Mattes, director, SMC, author, Single Mother by Choice
-Reads like a conversation with a warm and well informed friend.--Shoshana Alexander, co-founder of Utne Reader, author, In Praise of Single Parents
-Highly recommended for all parenting collections. -Library Journal
-Substantial...Chock full of resource information. -Chicago Tribune
-Essential reading for single mothers!--Working Mother magazine
-[One of the] stars of the solo system!--New York Daily News
-Useful articles with a decidedly whine-free tone.-- Philadelphia Inquirer
-Humor-filled, down to earth, offers tips on everything!--New Age magazine
-Winner - 1997-1998 Parents Choice Seal of Approval
More important, what her readers say...
-Thank you for all your helpful advice. Your words have revolutionized my parenting skills! --HW, Madison, NJ
Television and radio talk show appearances, press features
Andrea Engber is a frequent guest on nationally syndicated radio and television talk and news shows including:
• National Public Radio-Talk of the Nation, Morning Edition;
• CBS, ABC and NBC radio networks
• Maury Povich
• Good Morning America
• Court TV
• The Today Show
• Jenny Jones
• Queen Latifah
• Fox TV 'The Rob Nelson Show'
• PBS 'To the Contrary'
and frequent source of parenting information, articles and quotes to magazines and newspapers including:
• American Baby
• MS Magazine
• American Woman
• New Woman
• Utne Reader
• Woman's World
• Working Mother
• Parents Magazine
• Charlotte Observer
• New York Times
• Baltimore Sun
• Boston Globe
• New York Daily News
• Detroit Free Press
• Philadelphia Inquirer
• San Francisc• Examiner
• Toronto Star
• Chicago Tribune
• Detroit Free Press
and hundreds more!
Awards and honors
--Currently, there are nearly 13 million single moms in the United States.
--A third of all births are to single women. In 2000, the majority of first births--53 percent--were to unmarried women.
--The fastest growing group of single mothers are MOMs--Mothers Outside of Marriage.
--Teen single motherhood has decreased slipping from 8.2 percent to less than 6.5 percent in the last decade.